Our bikini’s that are designed by @moniquerotteveel are made from recycled plastic bottles but do you know the process? Well I thought you might be interested to learn more about it. So unlike polyester, recycled polyester uses PET which is the material used for clear plastic bottles and recycling it this way prevents it going to Landfill. These are the steps for the process:
- The PET bottles are sterilised, dried and crushed into small chips.
- The chips are then heated and passed through a spinner to make the strings of yarn.
- The yarn is then wound up in spools.
- The fibre then passes through a crimping machine to create a woollen texture.
- The yarn is then knitted into the polyester fabric
So, I am sure you would like to know how ethical this is, well this process requires 33 – 53% less energy than normal polyester. The main advantages to this process are using more recycled polyester reduces our dependence on petroleum as a raw material for normal polyester. Secondly using PET bottles for this process reduces the amount of plastic going in to landfill which means less soil contamination, air and water pollution.
After reading this I hope you understand why I love these bikini’s so much, not only are their designs gorgeous but they are a way to help our planet from an ethical viewpoint.